Okay, okay… now that the signs of seasonal change are upon us, the fall leaves of yellow, orange, and red are playing peek-a-boo along the landscape, we can either accept two things. (1) The fact that our Northwestern lives will enter once again into a kind of pseudo-hibernation, (2) or as some might believe we go into state of denial that the sun will be taking a vacation while mother nature begins her cleansing cycle for the next six to seven months.
No matter what you emotionally feel or believe, the fact that our “coin-toss” weather brings more precipitation than the rest of the West coast means that we ought to be ready. To be prepared for the natural elements means we can choose to live as reactionary folks or proactive people. At Mr. Electric, we surely adopt a similar principle as a Boy Scout would have; to be prepared, ready for anything.
Here are a few winter maintenance tips that everyone can benefit from; ultimately saving you headaches, time, and money!
- Remove screens from windows and install storm windows
- Clean out gutters and downspouts
- Insulate pipes in your home’s crawl spaces and attic
- Store firewood at least 30 feet away from your home
- Familiarize responsible family members with the gas main valve and other appliance valves
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct, damper and space under the dryer
- Make sure all electrical holiday decorations have tight connections
- Check the attic for adequate ventilation
- Clean the kitchen exhaust hood and air filter
- Check the water hoses on the clothes washer, refrigerator icemaker and dishwasher for cracks and bubbles
- Test all ground-fault-circuit-interrupter (GFCI) outlets
The quality of life we are afforded and the freedom we have to enjoy it truly is a motivator itself. We wish you and your family a smooth transition into the next season that is not only marked by safety but comfort and joy. Live well and should you need to call on the professionals, our electricians are here to serve and make your day a great one!